The 2017 Prize Shortlist Announced
We are delighted to announce this year’s shortlist for the Impress Prize for New Writers is as follows:
- White Church, Black Mountain by Thomas Paul Burgess
- The Worry Bottles by Helen Salsbury
- Depths by S.H. Binney
- Figures Slumbering by Chloe Turner
- Who Killed Mrs Ramsay by Maggie Humm
- Everything’s Ahead of Her by Molly Gartland
- The Lost Son by Stephanie M. Vanderslice
- The Day’s Heat by Roberta H. George
- They Came to the Oak by Catherine Bell
The winner will be decided by our panel of judges on Thursday 28 September.
The prize was created to discover and publish new writing talent in fiction and non-fiction. Entries to the prize are assessed by the Impress team each year and a shortlist produced from which a panel chooses the winner. The panel is comprised of representatives from the publishing industry and the writing community.
The winner of the prize is offered a publishing contract with Impress books with the aim of publishing the book in the year following the award. The Impress team also looks at all entries, whether on the shortlist or not, with a view to publication by Impress Books. Numerous entries from previous years have gone on to be published by Impress Books and other publishers and many authors who have entered the prize have also gone on to be represented by agents.
It is our firm belief that the prize is not just about the winner but should encourage emerging authors to write and to provide them with a focus and forum for their talent.
To find out more about the prize, follow us on Twitter using @ImpressPrize and @ImpressBooks1.