The Impress Prize for New Writers is part of the Untold Publishing Group, and the winner of the prize will be published by one of Untold Publishing’s imprints. These terms and conditions are between you and Untold Publishing Ltd (company number 12233121).
Conditions of Entry
- All entries should be submitted by email to: email@example.com
- Entry costs £25 per entry.
- All entries must be received by 30 June 2020.
- Untold Publishing reserves the right to reasonably refuse an entry if it is submitted after the closing deadline. Your submission will be refunded in this instance.
- You must be 16 years of age and over to enter the Impress Prize for New Writers.
- The Impress Prize for New Writers is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
- The Prize is open to writers of fiction and narrative non-fiction.
- Impress Prize entrants must not have had a full work published by any traditional publishing company, i.e. must not have been published by any company that offers royalties and/or an advance. This does not include self-published works, chapters/short stories in an anthology, or academic textbooks.
- By entering the Impress Prize you confirm that the entry is your own work and that the rights are not owned by anyone other than yourself in any form.
- By entering the Impress Prize you confirm that the entry is not libellous or unlawful.
- You can enter as many different entries as you wish. Please note that each submission is subject to a separate entry fee.
- Untold Publishing reserves the right to disqualify any entry if it has reasonable grounds to believe that the entrant has breached any of these rules. If you are disqualified based on information omitted from your entry, you will not be refunded.
- Impress Prize entries cannot be altered or changed after they have been entered into the competition.
- Entrants are granted a 14 day cooling off period from the date of submission. If you choose to withdraw from the prize within this cooling off period, you will be granted a full refund.
- Entries should comprise of a book proposal of no more than 1,000 words and a sample chapter of no more than 6,000 words.
- The proposal should include: name and contact details of the author, author biography, rationale for publishing the book, synopsis and/or contents, market readership.
- The sample chapter should be: written in English, written in 12pt typeface, double spaced, developed to a point where it can be published in the following year.
Conditions of Selection
- No more than 12 entries will be selected for the longlist, and 5 entries for the shortlist.
- The selection process is final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into once the longlist and shortlist have been announced.
- On the condition that your entry is shortlisted, you grant Untold Publishing permission to consider your work for publication once the Prize winner has been announced.
- By submitting an entry to the Prize you grant Untold Publishing the right to advertise your name and the title of your entry on the Impress Prize website if you are shortlisted.
Conditions of Winning
- The prize consists of:
- A publishing contract with one of Untold Publishing’s imprints, namely Impress Books or Aelurus Publishing, in volume and verbatim form worldwide.
- A £500 prize.
- A place at the Writing Retreat, A Chapter Away, to be taken within 12 months of the prize announcement.
- By winning the prize, you accept the terms and conditions of the publishing contract as published on the Impress Prize webpage at the time of entry.
- You agree that for the purposes of this publishing contract, you will not be agented.
- Untold Publishing reserves the right to edit the winning entry of the Impress Prize once a publishing contract has been signed by both parties, based on the author’s approval.
- The winner of the Impress Prize for New Writers is deemed by way of entering the competition to have granted Impress Books worldwide licence over their Impress Prize entry for publicity purposes. Selected pieces may appear in electronic format on any of Untold Publishing’s websites, or in other electronic forms.
- Due to the volume of entries we receive, the Untold Publishing are unable to provide feedback for prize submissions.
- Untold Publishing cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Impress Prize for New Writers competition.
- Untold Publishing will act in accordance with current UK data protection legislation in relation to your personal data. All personal data entered on this site is secure and will not be passed on to third parties.
- Untold Publishing reserves the right to alter the terms of the winning prize should unforeseen circumstances arise. Any such alterations will be communicated to you, after which you will have 7 days to withdraw your entry and receive a full refund. Any withdrawal of you entry after 7 days will not be entitled to a refund.
Agreement of Entry
- By submitting your entry and paying the fee, you accept the listed terms and conditions.